Relaxation and together time are not the only benefits of Jacuzzi® Hot Tubs. They also excel at reducing pain and joint tenderness, and increasing relaxation and relief. Learn more about how hydrotherapy can help relieve pain in your wrists, hips, legs, neck, and more.
Warm water is great for relaxing, but it is also good for moving. Warm water stimulates blood flow to stiff muscles and frozen joints, making a warm hot tub an ideal place to do some gentle stretching. In studies1 on Arthritis sufferers, improvement was particularly noted in reducing pain, joint tenderness, mood and tension symptoms, and increasing grip strength and patient satisfaction with hydrotherapy treatment in the short term.
In fact, the search for arthritis relief is what led to what is known as the Jacuzzi® Brand today.
Healing Inspiration for At-Home Arthritis Relief
Ken Jacuzzi contracted juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at only age 2, leaving him bound to a wheelchair for most of his life. After Ken’s mother recognized the natural pain relief he experienced receiving hydrotherapy treatments in the hospital, Ken’s father, Candido, invented a pump that mimicked the expensive hospital procedure from the convenience of home. This also made pain relief available more frequently to the toddler. Doctors were shocked when Ken went in for his regular check-up to see how much he had improved in such a short time.
In 1956, Candido and his brother brought the invention to the general public by marketing the first aerating portable pump, named the J-300, specifically designed to be submerged in a bathtub to provide hydrotherapeutic arthritis pain relief. The pump was later designed alongside the bath, and new, exclusive jet technology took the pump idea to a new level. A mix of 50 percent air and 50 percent water turning through these special jets provided a healing experience like never before.
The Science Behind Hydrotherapy
Hydrotherapy has its roots back to the time of the ancient Greeks, Romans, and Egyptians who believed in the healing power of water. They were ahead of their times—in fact, academic research studies back up these ancient claims.
In 1998, The Journal of Investigative Medicine published a study of aqua-thermal therapy that confirmed the pain-relieving benefits of hot tubs for patients with osteoarthritis, a degenerative arthritis. The study found that the level of inflammatory agents that cause arthritis pain and joint destruction fell after three weeks of portable spa therapy. Additionally, the heat of hydrotherapy promotes blood flow while the jets decrease muscle tension and soothe sore joints.
In a survey conducted about treating arthritis with massages and/or hydrotherapy, one participant responded as follows: “Out of all the methods I have used including deep tissue massage, a heating pad around various parts of my body, etc., hot tub therapy works best, hands down. Chronic pain is exhausting. Warm water jets are reviving; they provide fast and relaxing arthritis pain relief. Being in massaging hot water is like heaven for my joints. My arthritis is not only in one part of my body, it’s all over, so being able to submerge my entire body in invigorating hot water is an extremely desirable method of arthritis pain relief for me.”
Arthritis patients praise hot water therapy as a highly effective way to relieve joint pain, stiffness, swelling and inflammation from this chronic condition, and prefer the best hot tub models that allow for a customized massage from adjustable jets, as well as control of the water temperature. While effectively relieving pressure on surrounding nerves, joints, and blood vessels, those who suffer from arthritis also appreciate the buoyancy and increased mobility provided by each hydrotherapy session.
Relaxation and Relief Awaits
Today, Jacuzzi® Brand hydromassage combines the buoyancy of water to reduce joint pressure, warmth to ease pain and Aqualibrium®—the perfect mix of air and water—to deliver a jetted massage that increases circulation and targets discomfort. This mix makes a Jacuzzi® hot tub the ideal place for those with arthritis to not only relax, but also exercise without pain and increased mobility.
Try Aqua Yoga
If you want to go beyond water walking, you can try doing simple stretching exercises or yoga in the hot tub. Warm water makes muscles more pliable, increasing your flexibility as you go through the range of motion needed for your stretch or yoga pose. And even though it enhances mobility, the water also supports the body, helping you avoid injury. Try slow, rhythmic exercises for range of motion, then a few basic yoga poses for balance and strength. Remember to use the hot tub bench for support as needed.
Enjoy a Post-workout Water Massage
However you decide to work out, you should follow the Arthritis Foundation recommendations: Limit your workouts to 30 minutes, and keep the water temperature between 92 and 100 degrees. Then, follow up your exercise routine with a stress-relieving massage, strategically pointing the Jacuzzi® jets to gently bubble away any discomfort you may experience.
Combine with Traditional Massage Therapy
Massage is one of the most popular complementary therapies today1. Regular massage of muscles and joints offers a significant boost to the physical and emotional well-being of people living with arthritis. Consider these specific benefits of arthritis massage:
Reduced pain and stiffness. Massage can lower the body’s production of substance P, a neurotransmitter often linked to pain. This decrease in pain can also boost range of motion, helping you participate more fully in the activities you once enjoyed.
More restful sleep. As pain levels decrease, sleep quality increases—and better sleep can also alleviate arthritis pain. It’s a “virtuous” rather than “vicious” cycle, producing ongoing arthritis relief.
Reduced anxiety and stress. Massage can also reduce anxiety by decreasing production of cortisol, a key stress hormone, and increasing production of serotonin, which can improve mood. Massage treatments can also decrease the production of hormones linked to blood pressure and heart rate, helping you feel calm and relaxed.
Arthritis Relief Backed by Research
No matter where you’re experiencing arthritis aches and pains, research reveals that relief is available through targeted massage treatments:
Knees. Adults with osteoarthritis of the knee who received one or two Swedish massages per week for eight weeks reported significant improvements2 in knee pain, stiffness, function, range of motion, and walking.
Hands and wrists. Adults diagnosed with hand or wrist arthritis who received four weekly massages and gave themselves a 15-minute, moderate-pressure massage at home each day reported reduced pain and anxiety3, as well as increased grip strength.
Neck. Adults with neck arthritis pain who received weekly moderate-pressure massages from a therapist—and also performed daily self-massages—reported reduced pain and increased range of motion4.
Tips for Arthritis Massage
Before seeking massage for arthritis, consult your doctor to ensure that this type of therapy is safe for you. With his or her approval, you can enjoy natural relief from the aches, pains, and stress of arthritis.
To reduce arthritis symptoms, a moderate-pressure massage is best5. Light pressure can be stimulating rather than relaxing, and strong pressure may be painful on already-sensitive tissues and joints. Talk to your massage therapist to adjust the pressure so you get the most out of the treatment.
In addition, consider climbing into a Jacuzzi® Hot Tub for a soothing hydromassage. Adjust the intensity of the PowerPro® jets to suit your sensitive joints and muscles, including hard-to-reach areas such as the neck and back. You can also enjoy a pulsing massage to the small muscles in your hands and wrists.
The Healing Power of Hot Tubs
Depending on which part(s) of your body ails you, Jacuzzi® Brand’s best-selling hot tubs—each designed to work with specific massage combinations—can help alleviate your symptoms.
Tame a Stiff Neck
As connector between the brain and the body, the neck plays an invaluable role in our physical health. And with 1 in 10 adults suffering daily from some degree of neck discomfort, it goes without saying that this is one body part that shouldn’t be neglected. Whether you’re seeking to alleviate your own pain in the neck, or if you want to take preventative measures to avoid such aches, these seats and jets will help keep your neck loose and limber.
- FX ROTATIONAL SEAT: By utilizing two distinct types of spinning PowerPro<sup>®</sup>Jets, the FX Rotational seat helps relieve knots in muscles and offers increased relaxation and stimulation by targeting neck and shoulder tissue.
- PROAIR<sup>®</sup>LOUNGE SEAT: The ProAir<sup>®</sup> lounge seat eases tension by targeting a broad area of minor muscle groups in the neck and back, instilling a tingling sensation that travels upward from the shoulders, through the neck and head.
- POWERPRO<sup>®</sup>THERAPY SEAT: By focusing four adjustable PowerPro<sup>®</sup> Jets along the shoulders, upper back, and neck, the PowerPro<sup>®</sup> Therapy Seat offers a top-of-the-line Swedish-style massage designed to pinpoint problematic areas and relieve pain and tension.
- FX-12 THERAPY SEAT: The spiral action jets in this seat concentrate their force on the neck and back, and give users the ability to tweak the pressure their preferred degree, resulting in a fully customizable, tension-relieving therapy session.
- RX THERAPY SEAT: Existing at the intersection of exceptional quality and precision performance, the RX Therapy Seat harnesses the strength of a PowerPro<sup>®</sup>NX2 jet to deliver an intense stream of water to concentrate on the neck’s many muscle groups.
- Hips and wrists are two of the most used—and most crucial—areas of the body. If not properly cared for, the effects of gravity can wreak havoc on the hips, while repetitive motion can ravage the wrists. By caring for these important areas with occasional hydromassage sessions, you can maintain full range of motion and alleviate any symptoms you might be experiencing.
Relieve Hip or Wrist Pain
If your hips or wrists are causing you pain, these jets and seats are here to help make your discomfort disappear.
- POWERPRO<sup>®</sup>FX DIRECTIONAL JETS: These stress-soothing jets melt away tension by boosting blood flow in the region around the hips. The directional nature of these jets lets you pinpoint any part of the hip area that’s causing you pain, no matter the size or shape of your body frame.
- POWERPRO<sup>®</sup>PX JETS: These potent jets come in pairs and emit an intense hydromassage that homes in on the vital muscles groups in the hands and wrists. Ideal for desk jockeys, these jets provide the perfect means to counteract the damaging effects of carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive motion disorders. In addition, the force of the jets’ flow can be regulated, allowing you to find the perfect amount of pulsating pressure.
Increase Circulation and Decrease Leg Pain
From heels to hamstrings and calves to quadriceps, our legs are home to the largest and most-used muscles in the human body. It’s no surprise then that legs are also among the most burdened body parts on a day-to-day basis. Fortunately, Jacuzzi® Hot Tubs have seats and jets that were engineered especially to increase circulation and alleviate aches in the lower extremities.
Whether you’re presently experiencing leg pain that you’d like to address, or if you simply want to give your legs a luxurious and well-deserved hydrotherapy experience, these seats and jets are here to help.
- POWERPRO<sup>®</sup> FX SMALL JETS: Relieve cramped calves, hurting heels, and achy arches thanks to this surprisingly intense jet that exclusively addresses acute areas below the waist.
- POWERPRO<sup>®</sup> FX JETS: This jet emanates a steady, circular stream of air and water designed to target smaller muscle groups in the legs, including the tissue on the back of the knees and other tension points near your joints.
- POWERPRO<sup>®</sup> BX JETS: This jet’s balanced air-to-water ratio features a “bubbling” effect designed to address undesirable discomfort in the calves and surrounding areas.
- If you’re experiencing pain in your legs, a seat with any of these jets could be just what you need. There are also seats and jets that specifically target your hips and wrists if those areas need attention, too.
To feel for yourself how a Jacuzzi® Hot Tub can help relieve your arthritic pain from your neck to your feet, visit your local Jacuzzi® Hot Tub dealer to explore low-profile spas, open seating, lounge models, and more.
Download a buyer's guide to hot tubs today, and see first-hand what differentiates Jacuzzi® hot tubs from the competition to deliver excellence, quality, and value.
To learn more about how a Jacuzzi® hot tub can help you find arthritis relief, visit your local dealer today.